Monday, April 6, 2015

DB_Unique_Name vs. DB_Name

I have used DB_Unique_Name when I create a standby databases. This morning one of my colleague, when duplicating database using the production backup on non-production cluster,  asked me the question why does files in the ASM are being created in folder with the old database name and not with the new database name. I reviewed and found out that DB_Unique_Name parameter was left unchanged which caused this issue. This prompted me to believe that DB_Unique_Name is being used for creating the OMF file structure.  This is not documented clearly in Oracle Documentation, but I found this nice article which explains the difference between DB_Name and DB_Unique_Name.

http://ora12c.blogspot.com/2012/08/difference-between-dbname-dbuniquename.html

No comments:

Post a Comment